Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Something that has been bothering me lately....

There has been so much I have wanted to write to you of late.  Things just always get in the way it seems.  But there is one thing that continues to plague me, I don't want you to lose your innocence.  People have told me that I shouldn't worry, and yeah, I get that.  I know as you grow, you will slowly lose some of that innocence, it's part of growing up.  Whether it be a bully, or something you hear while shopping, or something you see in a commercial on TV, it will slowly start to "change" you. 

But I want you to know that I am trying so desperately for you to keep on to that innocence for as long as humanly possible.  To do this, I want you to know just how loved you truly are.  By me, your Daddy, and most importantly God.  We love you and He LOVES you.  You are made in His image.  It's hard for me to write this.  It's something that I have heard over and over of late it seems and I cannot help but think, "How do I teach this to you when I am struggling with this?"  All moms have their struggles, and their weaknesses.  And so many times, those "imperfections" are placed on our children.  Let's admit it.  We all do things our parents did that we don't like.  We aren't proud (ok, some I think are hilarious and definitely want to pass down), but we all do it.  It's hard to hope and pray and think about how do I prevent you from getting some of my most "undesirable traits" and not lose that precious innocence.  And the only way I can think of, is to try to teach you about God's love, even when I don't always believe it.  


(photo courtesy of Decor To Adore)

I read a blog today (Teach Your Children Who They Are, Before The World Teaches Them Who They Should Be) that's been sitting in my inbox for several months, and it spoke to me.  She uses bath time as a time to reflect on all the great qualities her children posses.  And she TELLS them.  It's funny I read this today as I've been trying to tell you of late similar things.  Yesterday, you came into my room long before I was ready to get up.  We said good morning to each other and you gave me a HUGE hug.  I then asked you if you'd like to get in bed with me and cuddle.  You were so excited!  I have no idea how long we laid in bed, but I know how much I loved holding you, wrapping my arms around you and you asking me to wrap them tighter, asking me if you could put your head to my chest and just lay there.  I told you so many wonderful things about you and rubbed your back up, down and back up again over and over.  I didn't want it to end.  Towards the end, I remember telling you that I hope and pray someday you feel this love I have for you.

Remember to tell your children all their wonderful qualities.  Remember that despite all the feelings you may have inside, you have a father, a mother, and most importantly a God who loves you more than you could ever imagine.  Tell your children this often.  Keep their innocence. 

To quote the blog (and to show just a couple of examples of what to say):

  • "You are beautiful."
  • "God created you for a special purpose."
  • "God has wonderful plans for you."
  • "I love your caring heart."
  • "You have a beautiful smile."
  • "God brought you to me ... and I'm thankful."

We love you with all our hearts baby girl,

Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment